Re: [FEATURE REQUEST] Timezone support in org-mode datestamps and org-ag

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: [FEATURE REQUEST] Timezone support in org-mode datestamps and org-agenda
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2023 18:19:01 +0300

* Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@posteo.net> [2023-01-16 14:25]:
> Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> writes:
>
> >> I am not sure what is the problem.
> >> The timestamps that should stay in local time will be automatically
> >> updated as your system TZ is updated.
> >
> > Then Org shall know what was local time! Without being specified in
> > the time stamp, it has to be specified somewhere, as computer can't
> > know at which time zone was it specified.
>
> We need nothing to use current time zone. And we already do it.
>
> System clock knows the current time zone. Emacs has an ability to
> determine current time zone. See `current-time-zone'. This works
> automatically (and already) because we use `encode-time'.

Then you did not understand the point.

For users who use Org personally, in single place, single time zone,
who do no travel, who do not share headings, tasks, and files
internationally, they really do not need hussle with time zones!

However, when nice strong guy makes an Org file with list of tasks in
Ukraine and send it to nice girl Florida, she will simply think that
at 9 o'clock she has to discuss making visa with her fiance, but
fiance is already pissed off because she did not appear at online
meeting.

Time zones are useful for:

- people who travel from one time zone to other;
- people who share Org files, headings, tasks;

Of course I was doing it since 2016 until some year when I realized
that there are serious human usability related limits.

But let's review, what would it be, when it would be that Jean works
in Org:

I have switched from Org to Hyperscope in June 2021:

# SELECT hypeoplerelations_datecreated FROM hypeoplerelations WHERE
hypeoplerelations_hypeoplereltypes = 2 LIMIT 1;
 hypeoplerelations_datecreated
-------------------------------
 2021-06-09 10:19:06.19327+03

That was the date when I slowly transitioned from sharing Org tasks to
people, in fact those were Org headings.

Since June 2021, I have shared 6176 time heading, without using Org,
to people all in various countries.

# SELECT count(1) FROM hypeoplerelations WHERE
hypeoplerelations_hypeoplereltypes = 2;
 count
-------
  6176
(1 row)

Time zones are small detail that does matter.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman