Re: org-persist files in /tmp

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: org-persist files in /tmp
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2022 16:07:51 +0000

"Fraga, Eric" <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> writes:

> On Wednesday, 21 Dec 2022 at 15:06, Ihor Radchenko wrote:
>> If you run something like make test or emacs -Q + org, it is expected.
>> These are throwaway directories used by org-persist for emacs -Q.
>
> I am not explicitly running either of those (at the moment).
>
> I wonder if this is somehow related to native compilation or some other
> post-build processes as I have built Emacs twice from git today (and I
> always update org when I build Emacs) and these directories have
> appeared soon thereafter (I think).

Could be. If so, it may indicate some issue with logic. The index should
not be written if the only entry inside index file is index version
itself.

You should _not_ see something like

((:container
  ((index "2.7"))
  :persist-file "d0/5078fe-5e31-4ddb-95a0-93ceae58df0c" :associated nil :expiry
never :last-access 1671637032.483552 :last-access-hr
"2022-12-21T18:37:12+0300"))

as the only contents of "index" file.

>> Do we need to care about cleaning up /tmp?
>
> Maybe not but I do use /tmp for some things and having tens of these
> directories does clutter things up a bit.  I'm happy to ignore but was
> curious as to why they were there at all.

This has been introduced in

2944a2152d491452697cc4db538d6b2344c0e37d
Author:     Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@posteo.net>
org-persist: Use temporary index for emacs -Q

* lisp/org-persist.el (org-persist--disable-when-emacs-Q): Rename
`org-persist-disable-when-emacs-Q' to internal variable.  Update the
docstring.
(org-persist-read):
(org-persist-write):
(org-persist-gc): Do not disable persistence.  Persistence is
necessary for remote file caching to work within a single Emacs
session.  Instead, use temporary directory as index for emacs -Q.

Also, see
1158097067.265983.1670026787291@mail1.libero.it">https://orgmode.org/list/1158097067.265983.1670026787291@mail1.libero.it

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,