Re: Multiple versions of Org in load-path problem

From: David Masterson
Subject: Re: Multiple versions of Org in load-path problem
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2022 19:27:07 -0800

> David Masterson <dsmasterson@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Is there a proper way to do this?  Do I really have to delete the
>> built-in 9.3 version (by hand or package-delete?) or will that mess up
>> something else?  I saw mention of 'unload-feature' which is new to me --
>> would that be safe to use?
>
> In theory, Emacs should handle such updates even when built-in Org is
> loaded. See https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=59882

I'm going to test if (in my case) the buit-in 9.3 is already loaded when
my .emacs runs,  I also have to see when 9.6 loads in my .emacs.

> unload-feature is the last resort. We are still discussing the available
> options in https://orgmode.org/list/87k033h218.fsf@localhost.

I have to play with the solution I suggested.  I'm beginning to wonder
if it will cause other problems with (seeming) Org dependent packages.
In my case, the error I get is from various use-package calls --
something like "Error: org-assert-version is not known".  This is
confusing because I've arranged my .emacs as (almost) an alphabetical
from packages loaded before Org.  IOW, org-assert-version from 9.6
shouldn't be loaded yet and 9.3 doesn't have org-assert-version. So
what's referring to org-assert-version?

--
David Masterson