Re: Multiple versions of Org in load-path problem

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Multiple versions of Org in load-path problem
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2022 07:26:35 +0000

David Masterson <dsmasterson@gmail.com> writes:

> I went so far as to add the following to early-init.el:
>
> (if (featurep 'org) (load-feature 'org))
> (add-to-list 'load-path (expand-file-name "~/.emacs.d/elpa/org-9.6")
> (load-library "org")
>
> The load-library still fails with the org-assert-version error.

Indeed. It is to be expected. M-x package-install should not err here
though. In theory.

I suggest you to read `org-assert-version'. It aims to catch the
situation above and similar.

Note, however, that installation problem is different. Or rather it
should be different.

> Could it be that, when you package-install Org-9.6, it runs through a
> check where (I think) it compiles the package?  I get a lot of warnings
> and 34(?) failed files.  Could it be that some of the files are not
> built and, so, when I load-library, I'm picking up some of the wrong
> files from the built-in Org-9.3?  Do we need to remove all versions of
> Org that is not the current version from the load-path at the very
> beginning of org.el to ensure no fall-through?  Kind of a hack, but...

Maybe. It should not. That's why I raised
I'd like to see if Emacs devs have anything to say here.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,