Re: [BUG] org-beamer :BEAMER_ACT: ignored on columns

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: [BUG] org-beamer :BEAMER_ACT: ignored on columns
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2022 14:00:20 +0800

"Fraga, Eric" <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> writes:

> On Saturday,  8 Oct 2022 at 14:10, Ihor Radchenko wrote:
>> This patch certainly adds code duplication and might also miss some
>> scenarios considered in the environments from
>> org-beamer-environments-default.
>
> I'm not sure what code duplication you are referring to unless it's the
> two lines that now address actions and are similar to those for options.
> The comments you referenced are from the original code.

Let me elaborate.

Your patch adds for columns

         ;; also process actions
         (raw-actions (org-element-property :BEAMER_ACT headline))
         (actions (if raw-actions
                      (org-beamer--normalize-argument raw-actions 'action)
                    ""))

but the existing code also have

          (let ((action (org-element-property :BEAMER_ACT headline)))

at least :BEAMER_ACT is acquired redundantly.

Further, the old code has

             ((and (string-prefix-p "[" action)
                   (string-suffix-p "]" action))
              (list
               (cons "A" (org-beamer--normalize-argument action 'defaction))
               (cons "a" "")
               (cons "R" action)))
             (t
              (list (cons "a" (org-beamer--normalize-argument action 'action))

So, depending on the :BEAMER_ACT value (if it is enclosed into [xxx]),
it is parsed differently.

---

I do not know if [xxx] vs xxx makes any difference for columns, but it
is generally not very clear why there is a distinction in one case but
not another. If using (org-beamer--normalize-argument raw-actions
'action) unconditionally (rather than 'defaction or 'action) is ok, at
least it deserves a comment in the code.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,