Re: Org ML integration with an existing Discourse instance

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: Org ML integration with an existing Discourse instance
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2022 08:27:26 +0200

Hi Timothy,

Timothy <orgmode@tec.tecosaur.net> writes:

>> Not just this: I’m concerned with setting up a user-to-user discussion
>> space that reify a split between users (on a forum) and developers (on
>> the mailing list).
>
> For what it’s worth, as a developer I’d be very interested in the ability of a
> forum to categorise feature requests/bug reports/workflow discussions, etc.

But then the ML and the forum would compete with each other from a
maintainer's point a view: the ones using solely the ML would not get
the same information than the ones using the forum.

>> If a community-driven Discourse instance for Org emerges, that will be
>> a good thing: people could go there instead (or on top) of SO/reddit
>> if they don’t want/like to interact on a mailing list.
>
> We could canvas reddit for example to see if the people currently on there
> would
> be interested in an Org discourse.

Yes, but mentioning that this would not be "the" Org discourse (not
forum.orgmode.org), just "a" Org forum maintained by X for the benefit
of the whole Org community (which is not really a thing actually, just
a mental shortcut for "every Org user out there").

It would be a good outcome to have such a forum: I'd be more comfy
recommending users to ask questions there iff they don't want/like
sharing questions on the ML than recommending them using reddit and
the like.

All best,

--
 Bastien