Re: Attempting to create orgcard.org

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: Attempting to create orgcard.org
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2022 08:22:46 +0200

Kyle Meyer <kyle@kyleam.com> writes:

> Something to consider: orgcard.tex is included in the Emacs repo and
> fits into their refcard machinery.  If the source changes from .tex to
> .org, the .org file must be included in the Emacs repo, as is done with
> the .org of the manual now (bug#45143, bug#46837).  Doing so would
> involve extra setup and handling on the Emacs side.  Even if someone on
> the Org side volunteers to do that work, another case of special
> handling probably wouldn't be received warmly.

Fully agreed.  And I don't want to be in the same situation than for
the manual, where someone puts a lot of energy into something that we
accept as a temporary experiment, and which becomes something like a
burden for some Emacs maintainers.

Timothy, I believe your efforts are worthwhile as a way to provide
Emacs third-party package maintainers a way to produce a refcard-like
PDF document for their libraries.  But not for Org, where the refcard
is really good enough as it is, especially the Emacs sync constraints
we have right now.

Is that okay with you?

--
 Bastien