Re: Org ML integration with an existing Discourse instance (was: IM dev

From: Tim Cross
Subject: Re: Org ML integration with an existing Discourse instance (was: IM dev discussions?)
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2022 05:37:54 +1000

"Bruce D'Arcus" <bdarcus@gmail.com> writes:

> On Tue, Sep 27, 2022 at 2:25 PM Tim Cross <theophilusx@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Discourse is not free - either you have to pay or you have to self host.
>
> IIRC, it is for open source projects.
>
> Yes:
>
> https://blog.discourse.org/2018/11/free-hosting-for-open-source-v2/
>
> Bruce

Thanks Bruce. That option is not mentioned on their pricing page at all.

Looking at it, it seems there are restrictions and it is at their
discretion (you have to apply). There are also bandwidth limits, but
I don't know what our 'normal' usage is and what it would be using the
discourse UI. Basically, we only get 50k page views per month.

Their definition is

"Page views
All requests for content such as a list of categories, topics, or posts,
count as page views, whether by a human or a web crawler. Any request
that reaches our servers and incurs significant work will be counted as
a page view."

If you assume 10 posts per day, that would allow
only around 178 views per post. That feels a little low to me. However,
this could be completely wrong a it isn't easy to tell exactly what data
is transferred with each request. It isn't easy to know exactly which
clicks on UI elements result in a new data request.

The concern would be that if it did turn out to be a popular solution,
we could end up needing to purchase the 'standard' plan and while we
wold get that at a discounted price, it is an expense that would need to
be met. (the standard plan would give us 100k page views per month).