Re: applying patches

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: applying patches
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2022 10:43:35 +0800

>> It might. It is probably even useful. Would you mind writing several
>> paragraphs for the manual about applying patches?
>
> It may be enough to add links to already written documents.

I'd say that the purpose of describing patch or git apply in the manual
is a quick reference for ordinary users who report a bug and want to
test the proposed fix.

More detailed instructions may be added to
https://orgmode.org/worg/org-contribute.html

> For those who are familiar with git:
>
> https://git-scm.com/book/en/v2/Distributed-Git-Maintaining-a-Project
>
> Perhaps I have seen better introduction how to use the "patch" command than
> https://www.gnu.org/software/diffutils/manual/html_node/Merging-with-patch.html

I'd better see these links in org-contribute.
Possibly, we can add a new item to "Ways that do not involve programming":
- Help to test the proposed patches: You can help checking the quality
  of existing patches submitted to the mailing list. Just apply the
  patch (see [[how to apply patches]]) and try using it with your Org
  setup. Then report any issues or rough edges.

<<how to apply patches>> can then detail different ways to do it and
provide the above links as further reading.

--
Ihor Radchenko,
Org mode contributor,