Re: [BUG] org-forward-sentence does not recognize the end of sentences w

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: [BUG] org-forward-sentence does not recognize the end of sentences with footnotes [9.5.4 (N/A @ /gnu/store/zi4gr63h5k2w3y5srydk3k05bjrx9pi9-emacs-org-9.5.4/share/emacs/site-lisp/org-9.5.4/)]
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2022 17:58:52 +0800

"Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide" <arne_bab@web.de> writes:

>> But colon is not a sentence end. Or do I miss something?
>
> I think I added colon there; in default setting this should jump to the
> end of [fn:133]. If you have sentence with two spaces set, try adding a
> space after [fn:133] — it is not recognized as end of a sentence:
>
> Die Anzahl und Stärke der Werte ist durch eure
> gewählte Machtstufe begrenzt:[fn:23] Ein starker
> Wert@@latex:\index{Starker Wert}@@ kostet einen Punkt und ein
> überragender Wert@@latex:\index{überragender Wert}@@ drei
> Punkte.[fn:133]  Starke Werte markiert ihr mit =+=, überragende Werte
> mit =++=.

So, are you saying that a footnote after sentence ending symbol must be
a part of sentence? Is it common in German? Other languages?

I'm afraid that the subject of sentence and is very tricky to handle for
an arbitrary language. Not all the languages even use "." to separate
sentences.

If we want to properly fix the issue, we may need to create a dedicated
rule-set on how to handle sentence end for different languages or maybe
even implement a patch for Emacs itself. I'm afraid that regexps will not
cut it.

Best,
Ihor