Re: Org-syntax: Intra-word markup

From: Juan Manuel Macías
Subject: Re: Org-syntax: Intra-word markup
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2021 23:24:41 +0000

Nicolas Goaziou writes:

> I'm suggesting to remove zero-width spaces contiguous to emphasis
> markers only. Therefore LaTeX process would npot see them. Other zero
> width spaces, e.g., inserted by user, are kept. AFAICT, the two last
> points you mention are not relevant with my proposal.
>
> Besides, they already part of the syntax, in some way. So that ship has
> sailed long ago.

I understand that it is too late to change certain things, but that is
not an impediment for me to continue to think that using the character
U+200B as a part (at least /de facto/) of the syntax is still shocking
and weird.

On the other hand, what was expected in Org would have been to have the
emphasis marks and at the same time have a universal escape character
for those emphasis marks. In the same way as I can write in markdown:
*foo* AND \*foo\*. In Org we have the emphasis marks but not the escape
character. That was probably the cause of many issues that are being
discussed here. But that means also entering the realm of assumptions.
Still, I wanted to leave an opinion on this question in particular.

Best regards,

Juan Manuel