Re: [BUG] Async pdf export broken with native-comp

From: Tim Cross
Subject: Re: [BUG] Async pdf export broken with native-comp
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2021 09:15:05 +1000

Sébastien Miquel <sebastien.miquel@posteo.eu> writes:

> Hi,
>
> The async pdf export functionality appears to be broken with latest org and a
> recent emacs version compiled with native-comp enabled (I have not tested
> without native-comp).
>
> To reproduce:
>
>  - use `emacs -q` and an empty init.el file (your init file gets picked up by
>    the async emacs instance)
>  - (setq org-export-async-debug t)
>  - find any org file and hit =C-c C-e C-a C-l C-p= to export as pdf file.
>
> The async process will exit abnormaly.
>
> The issue stems from this line in `org-export-to-file`
>  :       (ignore-errors (funcall ',post-process ,file))
>
> In `org-latex-export-to-pdf`, this `post-process` is set to
>  :       (lambda (file) (org-latex-compile file))
>
> I think native-comp compiles this lambda, which messes things up.
>
> As a fix, you can quote the lambda in `org-latex-export-to-pdf`
>  :       '(lambda (file) (org-latex-compile file))
>
> The same applies to other backends but I don't know if it's the right thing to
> do.

I think native comp has a way to go before we begin to worry about how
to address any bugs which it may introduce/discover. While it is good to
have information like this posted to the list for anyone who wants to
experiment with native comp, it would be premature to apply any fixes to
the org code base.

--
Tim Cross