Re: [BUG] Async pdf export broken with native-comp

From: Tim Cross
Subject: Re: [BUG] Async pdf export broken with native-comp
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2021 16:31:53 +1000

Timothy <tecosaur@gmail.com> writes:

> Mark Barton <mbarton98@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I use native-comp, but have not tried the async export yet.
>
> FWIW I use native-comp (with Doom + my config) and async PDF export
> works.

It might be useful for the OP if you could post what commit of Emacs 28
you are running. Native compilation is a moving feast and it could be
either the OP is running an older version (and issue has been fixed) or
a later version (and issue has been recently introduced). Knowing which
commit you are building from might help him identify whether an update
might fix the issue.

One thing I did notice when I was running native-comp was that the
caching strategy was a little hit and miss - it could also be that your
version is not running native compiled org.

When I was trying native compilation, I found that

- native compilation was a bit restrictive - it didn't compile things
  correctly in some situations because it didn't load some dependencies
  (i.e. you got errors and warning you don't see with normal *.elc
  compilation)

- The caching was a bit hit and miss

- There was no noticeable performance improvement.

I think all of these issues will eventually be addressed as things
mature. However, for now, I don't see any real benefit in enabling
native compilation other than on an academic level.

--
Tim Cross