Re: org-mode export to (latex) PDF

From: Juan Manuel Macías
Subject: Re: org-mode export to (latex) PDF
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2021 12:06:59 +0000

Tim Cross writes:

> Stefan Nobis <stefan-ml@snobis.de> writes:

>> But maybe we could assemble a list of good (enough) fonts for
>> different languages/scripts and provide a default setup in Org for
>> LaTeX export, that sets a proper font for the chosen document
>> language?

> I think such a list would be a really good addition to worg.

I think it's a great idea. Some resources on fonts and languages that
may be useful:

- The LaTeX Font Catalogue (https://tug.org/FontCatalogue/) is pretty
  complete and includes a lot of high quality fonts, with coverage for
  many languages. The fonts are from diverse origins, for example the
  excellent fonts for Greek and Latin alphabets from the Greek Font
  Society, the TeX Gyre project fonts, etc.

- To get quick information from an otf font (otf features, Unicode
  ranges, scripts, glyphs, etc.) otfinfo is very useful
  (https://man.archlinux.org/man/otfinfo.1.en). But the more powerful
  tool in this regard is fontforge (https://fontforge.org/en-US/), which
  is not only a complete professional font editor (and free as in
  freedom) but can also be used by everyone to audit all aspects from a
  font: glyphs, metadata, otf features, languages, scripts, ranges, etc.

- There are specialized fonts in a wide coverage of ranges and scripts,
  but many are low-quality or proprietary. Google's Noto Fonts ensure at
  least a reasonably complete coverage: I use them only for experiments
  (or for ensure certain "rare" scripts in Emacs buffers, as Linear B or
  Gothic), but they can also be used within a document.

- Finally, in case anyone is interested, I also wrote for my personal
  use a Helm source to list all system font families and insert the
  family name into a LaTeX document with the syntax of fontspec or Babel
  ("\babelfont", which is a frontend for fontspec).

Best regards,

Juan Manuel