Re: [wip-cite-new] Initial implementation of `csl' citation processor

From: Bruce D'Arcus
Subject: Re: [wip-cite-new] Initial implementation of `csl' citation processor
Date: Fri, 28 May 2021 14:26:01 -0400

On Fri, May 28, 2021 at 1:54 PM Timothy <tecosaur@gmail.com> wrote:

> Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr> writes:
>
> > I wouldn't hold my breath.
> >
> > First, IIUC, there's no reason to force biblatex over natbib OOTB as
> > both are widely in use. But, more importantly, "oc-csl" require the
> > external Citeproc library, so it cannot be loaded by default. As
> > a consequence, no default configuration can use it.
>
> If you don't mind some follow-up questions.
> + I take it that natbib is used by default for LaTeX then? Is it fairly
>   easy for the user to switch to biblatex?
> + With citeproc, I don't suppose something could be put behind a
>   (featurep) switch to use oc-csl if citeproc is available, and fall
>   back gracefully otherwise?

Not sure about generally (Nicolas can comment on that), but in this
case, if you specify this:

#+cite_export: natbib

... the export process runs through that processor, even if you are
outputting to plain text or HTML, where natbib is not supported.

So in an HTML file, you end up with citations like "\citet{doe}" of course.

That's actually good for testing, but maybe not so much for actual use.

If you choose oc-biblatex instead, not sure what happens behind the
scenes, but it does export a latex file for biblatex, without any
other configuration, but the same way as with oc-natbib.

Bruce