Re: The fate of ditaa.jar (9.4.5.)

From: Jarmo Hurri
Subject: Re: The fate of ditaa.jar (9.4.5.)
Date: Thu, 13 May 2021 15:44:10 +0300

Greetings.

"Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide" <arne_bab@web.de> writes:

> Arthur Miller <arthur.miller@live.com> writes:
>
>> By the way, how difficult is to download one file from the internet
>> (ditaa.jar) if you are an user?
>
> That’s not the point. The point is that every single user with a ditaa
> block has to do it.
>
> Ask the other way round: What is the benefit of removing ditaa from
> org?  If you want to force most current org-ditaa users to unbreak
> their setup after update, there should be a significant tangible
> benefit.

I agree.

One thing I like about org is that most things work out of the box.
While I can download/install/compile/whatever ditaa.jar, having to do so
adds a step. This extra step will result in fewer people using the
combination of org and ditaa. I do not think that is a good direction.

Comparing ditaa to latex/java/C/such does not feel fair, since distros
support standard software, and ditaa does not seem to qualify. But this
is an assumption. At least my distro does not support ditaa in a
package.

Just my opinion. As always, happy to leave the final decision to the
wise ones.

Have fun and stay safe!

Jarmo