Re: The fate of ditaa.jar (9.4.5.)

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: The fate of ditaa.jar (9.4.5.)
Date: Mon, 10 May 2021 14:41:09 -0400

Jarmo Hurri <jarmo.hurri@iki.fi> writes:

> Greetings.
>
> I pulled the latest master and noticed that contrib has been moved into
> a separate repository. I also cloned this contrib repository, but can
> not find the file
>
> scripts/ditaa.jar
>
> in the repo. In fact, there is no directory scripts in the repo.
>
> The documentation in the latest master states that
>
> Stathis Sideris wrote the ‘ditaa.jar’ ASCII to PNG converter that is now
> packaged into the org-contrib repository.
>
> How should I proceed? Should I build this separately
>
> https://github.com/stathissideris/ditaa

You don't need to build it: it's available in the release area

https://github.com/stathissideris/ditaa/releases

> or will it still be included into contrib?

In general, I think it's a better idea to point to the canonical sources
and document how to integrate it into Org mode, than bundle things like
that, but I have no idea how things are going to go. I'm sure there will
be some problems that will need fixing one way or another.

--
Nick

"There are only two hard problems in computer science: cache
invalidation, naming things, and off-by-one errors." -Martin Fowler