Re: The fate of ditaa.jar (9.4.5.)

From: Arthur Miller
Subject: Re: The fate of ditaa.jar (9.4.5.)
Date: Fri, 14 May 2021 03:13:38 +0200

"Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide" <arne_bab@web.de> writes:

> Arthur Miller <arthur.miller@live.com> writes:
>
>> Jarmo Hurri <jarmo.hurri@iki.fi> writes:
>>
>>> Greetings.

>>> I agree.
>>>
>>> One thing I like about org is that most things work out of the box.
>>
>> If bundled ditaa is not compatible with jre installed on users
>> computer, or there is no jre installed, and user is not a programmer or
>> used to Java, how many steps it adds to such a user to sort out why org
>> does not work for him/her "out of the box"? Just to save some experienced
>> user an extra step, that probably does not even affect them since they
>> already have java and ditaa on their computers.
>
> The difference is not about the difference between experienced or
> beginner. The difference is that „use your package manager to get Java“
> or „get openjdk“ is an operation that only uses standard installation
> processes.
>
> „Get this jar-file from somewhere and drop it somewhere and then change
> this configuration to point to it“ is not a standard installation
> action.
>
> If Java is missing, org can simply report „no java found, please install
> openjdk from <linux: your package manager | windows/macos:
> https://adoptopenjdk.net/installation.html>“ and the user can install it
> like any other software.
So can org also say: "ditaa is missing, please install from the link
... " :-)

> This is not the case with ditaa. Ditaa is no standard application with
> installer/setup/…, but a jar-file.

Exactly, so it is enough to just download a single file and point your
org to it with one `setq' in your init file. So it does not need a
pacakge managmenet on os level.

However, Org could also simply say: use another distro that has ditaa in
it's repository, such as Arch Linuz (in AUR).