Re: Question about citation processors [wip-cite branch]

From: Denis Maier
Subject: Re: Question about citation processors [wip-cite branch]
Date: Tue, 4 May 2021 21:34:44 +0200

Am 04.05.2021 um 17:27 schrieb Joost Kremers:

On Tue, May 04 2021, Bruce D'Arcus wrote:
On Tue, May 4, 2021 at 10:47 AM Joost Kremers <joostkremers@fastmail.fm> wrote:

I can add some comments regarding biblatex:

- default: \parencite[1]

WDYT of \autocite for default?

It's conceptually the same as the CSL default.

If that is the case then it's probably the better choice. The biblatex manual
states that \autocite requires that the citation style defines a command for it
and that it is not appropriate for author-year style citations. I assume that's
something for the user to be aware of when using such citations?

Well, IIRC, in author-year styles \autocite is equivalent to \parencite. I think, what the manual talks about is not that \autocite wouldn't be appropriate for author-year styles, but rather that relying /solely/ on \autocite doesn't give authors the flexibility they might want in these styles, like when you want something like in your example:
```
According to \textcite[]{Jones1998} , ``students often had difficulty using APA style, especially when it was their first time'' \pnotecite[][199]{Jones1998}.
```

So, I think \autocite is the better choice.

Denis