Re: Bug: org-babel-tangle: persmission denied when tangling [9.4.5 (9.4.

From: No Wayman
Subject: Re: Bug: org-babel-tangle: persmission denied when tangling [9.4.5 (9.4.5-gbc2659 @ /home/n/.emacs.d/straight/build/org/)]
Date: Tue, 04 May 2021 15:33:10 -0400

Sébastien Miquel <sebastien.miquel@posteo.eu> writes:

Hi,

No Wayman writes:
I'm tangling my early-init/init.el with the :tangle-mode header arg set to
(identity (#o444)).
This should be `(identity #o444)` I believe ?

Apologies, I transcribed that incorrectly. I do have `(identity #o444)`.
File permissions are now set before writing to the file, for security reasons. In this case, you remove write permission so emacs fails to write to the file. Perhaps we should try to support this use case.

However, even with the previous version, it seems that subsequent tangles should have failed (emacs should fail to delete the previous tangled file). Can you confirm this and explain how you dealt with it ?

Subsequent tangles did not fail for me. I just tested by building Org from a2cb9b853's parent: f84033b08. Multiple tangles work with no permission errors on subsequent tangles.

Here's my init.org, if that's useful:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/progfolio/.emacs.d/master/init.org

As a workaround, you could use a file-local
`org-babel-post-tangle-hook` to set file permission. Although
subsequent tangles will still fail.

Unfortunately, I don't have much use for the workaround if subsequent tangles will fail. I currently have an after-save-hook function which tangles the files if I've edited any of the src blocks. It's very convenient and I often will edit/tangle files set up like this multiple times.