Re: Is it possible to #+include: src blocks and tangle them too?

From: Berry, Charles
Subject: Re: Is it possible to #+include: src blocks and tangle them too?
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2021 21:14:24 +0000

Hi Greg,

> On Apr 16, 2021, at 8:27 AM, Greg Minshall <minshall@umich.edu> wrote:
>
> Rama,
>
> one other comment/suggestion.
>
>> I haven’t been able to fully work with Donald Knuth’s suggestion of
>> writing a Literate Program directly in a tool like orgmode/noweb since
>> it is a nuisance to keep having to type C-c ' to go into the editing
>> mode of the language concerned.
>
> while i have not much experience with it, you might look at the emacs
> packages polymode, poly-org, and poly-whatever-other-languages-you-use.
> it seems as if they might give you [C-c ']-like behavior when editing
> source blocks in line in an org mode buffer.
>
> (others who use polymode: does this make sense?)

I have tried it a few times, but not had satisfactory results.

I use mostly R src blocks, so I want to have ESS like functionality. And I
really like to be able to execute src blocks with
`org-babel-execute-src-block'.

Unfortunately, it seems like polymode gets into conflicts with org mode from
time to time. My memory is a bit dim on exactly the issues, but I think there
were freezes. Maybe turning off all the stops and whistles in org mode (like
fontification) would solve this, but I never gave it a go.

Having said that, I will say it is easy enough to install and try out. And
perhaps your mileage will vary.

Best,
Chuck