Re: How do you name your code blocks?

From: Rodrigo Morales
Subject: Re: How do you name your code blocks?
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2021 20:27:54 -0500

> Yes.  Fully qualified and detailed.  And then rely on completion to jump
> to code blocks (using org-babel-goto-named-src-block).

Thanks for the answer. I didn't know about
=org-babel-goto-named-src-block=.

Regarding using fully qualified and detailed names: I feel like it is
not a good idea for the use case I have with Org Mode. I have multiple
big Org files for each programming languages I've used and while using
long names might avoid name conflicts, there would be a time in which a
name conflict would occur because it is necessary to avoid using a name
which has already been used, so for example if I name a code block with
=generate-data-for-plotting=, I can't use that same name again.

For this reason, I was thinking in the following workaround: use use the
ID of the subtree as the prefix of the name of the code blocks. Thus,
name conflicts are less likely to occur (see example below).

#+begin_src org
,* DONE How to get the number of lines in a file?
  :PROPERTIES:
  :ID:       ec1f7066-213c-458e-a0f9-786b722218f4
  :END:

,#+NAME: ec1f7066-213c-458e-a0f9-786b722218f4/create-file
,#+begin_src dash :results silent
cat << EOF > main.txt
first
second
third
EOF
,#+end_src

,* DONE How to print most repeated word in a file?
  :PROPERTIES:
  :ID:       e0768c19-080f-47db-9dc2-3bd00efdd036
  :END:

,#+NAME: e0768c19-080f-47db-9dc2-3bd00efdd036/create-file
,#+begin_src dash :results silent
cat << EOF > main.txt
fizz fizz fizz
buzz buzz buzz buzz
foo
bar bar
EOF
,#+end_src
#+end_src

As we can see above, both =dash= code blocks are given the name
=create-file= because both of them create a file but the ID of the
heading is used a the prefix in order to avoid a name conflict.

Let me know your thoughts on this workaround :)
--
Rodrigo Morales.
IRC: rdrg109 (freenode)