Re: Google SoC organisation application

From: Daniele Nicolodi
Subject: Re: Google SoC organisation application
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2021 12:58:40 +0100

On 02/02/2021 10:54, TEC wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> Google's SoC organisation applications are currently open, and close on
> <2020-02-20>. I know that Org participated once, in 2012.
>
> Would it be a good idea to submit an application to do so again?
> With the rise in interest in computational notebooks, blogging tools,
> and other features that Org possesses I'd imagine we have a decent shot.

Applying only makes sense if there are concrete ideas about projects
suitable for GSoC participants and if only if there are Org contributors
that can work as mentors.

Suitable projects should be of the right level of complexity for the
students to have a chance to have them implemented in the allotted time,
which this year is not much, and have a clear design approved by the Org
maintainers, so that most of the time available to the students will not
be spent discussing it.

Do you have any idea about suitable projects?

However, I I think the availability of mentors can be the hardest
requirement. I think that it would not be fair for the students if the
code they would produce does not have good chances to entering the code
base in a timely fashion. Thus, mentors (or, at least, co-mentors)
should be among the Org maintainers. Is anyone available?

Please understand that the GSoC is not a way to get labor for the
project sponsored by Google: it is very likely that the time investment
required to the mentors would be more than enough to implement what the
students will do during the GSoC. The GSoC is more an opportunity to
form a possible future long term contributor to the project.

Cheers,
Dan