Re: Bring up a screen giving option to open a series of orgmode files

From: Maxim Nikulin
Subject: Re: Bring up a screen giving option to open a series of orgmode files
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2020 19:40:00 +0700

2020-12-15 Ihor Radchenko wrote:

Then, packages like org-pdftools would not
need to invent new link types just to be able to refer to specific page
or annotation inside a pdf file.

Firefox (I do not know if pdf.js is cut off from IceCat) have a special button to obtain link like

file:///path/to/file.pdf#page=5&zoom=310,131,734

Chromium handles page=N part successfully. Unfortunately vertical axis has the opposite direction. Exactly the same discrepancy of vertical offset notion I have noticed with xpdf vs. pdftotext.

I suppose, it is reasonable to have #page=N form at least in exported documents. A simple wrappers should allow other applications to open files at the specified page. Anyway every desktop PDF viewer has its own way to specify page number.

I do not think that either of browsers would agree to change base point of vertical offset. Maybe additional parameter could be added to specify direction and to avoid ambiguity.