Re: bibtex and babel support

From: Colin Baxter
Subject: Re: bibtex and babel support
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2020 11:59:48 +0000

Dear Eric,

Thanks for the reply.

    > On Wednesday, 16 Dec 2020 at 08:19, Colin Baxter wrote:
    >> However, tangling bibtex src blocks works without an explicit
    >> (bibtex . t).

    > Good.  As it should.

    >> Indeed if I do insert such a line in my emacs init file, I get an
    >> error with "(require ob-bibtex) not found".

    > But there is no need for such a line as bibtex src blocks cannot
    > be evaluated.  org babel makes no sense in this case.

Yes, I thought that at the time. I think I was thrown by the initial
error message, which prompted me to think that a file called
"ob-bibtex.el" existed or had existed, and this would add some sort of
functionality that I had yet to understand.

    >> Although the tangle of bibtex src blocks works well, the block
    >> itself often seem to have fontlock issues and sometimes it seems
    >> not to accept the standard bibtex comment, which begins with @
    >> followed by a space and then text.

    > This will be a bibtex-mode issue, not an org issue?  Does it font
    > lock correctly if you edit the src block in bibtex mode?

This turns out to be a red herring. I find I can edit the source blocks
and insert appropriate comment lines using C-c '. I forgot about this
and was editing the source blocks directly in the org file.😱

    > Just to say that I use bibtex src blocks a lot but I also use the
    > functionality found in ol-bibtex.el for creating bib files from
    > org properties.

Yes ol-bibtex.el is good but doesn't fit my purpose. I use non-standard
bib fields - such as "illustrations", "binding", "condition", etc. -
that are not in available properties of ol-bibtex.el.

Thanks again for your help - I feel I understand things a little better.

Colin.

Colin Baxter
GnuPG fingerprint: 68A8 799C 0230 16E7 BF68  2A27 BBFA 2492 91F5 41C8
Since mathematicians have invaded the theory of relativity, I do not
understand it myself. A. Einstein