Re: [patch suggestion] Mitigating the poor Emacs performance on huge org

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: [patch suggestion] Mitigating the poor Emacs performance on huge org files: Do not use overlays for PROPERTY and LOGBOOK drawers
Date: Fri, 04 Dec 2020 13:58:49 +0800

Hello,

This is an update about the current status of the patch.

Since there was not much feedback, I decided to share the up-to-date
branch on github, so that people can directly download/clone the whole
thing and load it to Emacs without a need to install the patch manually.

The github repo is https://github.com/yantar92/org

----

On the progress with the code, I have found many more bugs, which are
not critical for me, but should be fixed anyway. I will keep working on
them and keep the github repo up to date.

One more important thing I wanted to mention is about the way org-fold
should be merged on master. I plan to support using overlays within
org-fold depending on custom variable. If the variable is set to
'overlay, org fold will use overlays without all the complexity of text
property approach. The 'overlay value will be set by default. If a user
wants to use text properties, the variable can be customised.

The described approach will allow all the users test the text
property-based folding as experimental feature (similar to
org-element-use-cache). Once we are confident enough that the code is
stable, we can just change the default.

What do you think?

Best,
Ihor