Re: generate an org file for today's appointments

From: TRS-80
Subject: Re: generate an org file for today's appointments
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2020 20:15:56 -0500

On 2020-12-03 06:01, Mikhail Skorzhisnkii wrote:
Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@polytechnique.org> writes:

I have my calendars converted to org files (using ical2orgpy), and as I
include them as agenda files, I have this nice view in org-agenda:

               9:10...... now - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
  AlanWork:   10:00-12:00 Event A -
  Chris:      10:00-11:00 Event B -
              10:00...... ----------------
              12:00...... ----------------
  AlanWork:   14:00-15:30 Event C -
              14:00...... ----------------
              16:00...... ----------------
              18:00...... ----------------
  Alan:       20:00-21:30 Event D -

Is there a way to piggy-back on all the work that org-agenda already did
to generate something like:

** 10:00 Event A
** 10:00 Event B
** 14:00 Event C
** 20:00 Event D

This would then be inserted in my daily journal file.

I guess the alternative is using org-element to extract the information from the calendars in org format, but it seems to me org-agenda already
did all the hard work.

I'd suggest to use function "org-agenda-write". You can export your
agenda views to org files too! However, the formatting will be
different. Probably something like:

* Event A
 SCHEDULED: <2020-12-03 Thu 10:00-12:00>
* Event B
 SCHEDULED: <2020-12-03 Thu 10:00-11:00>
* Event C
 SCHEDULED: <2020-12-03 Thu 14:00-15:30>
* Event D
 SCHEDULED: <2020-12-03 Thu 20:00-21:30>

I personally do this to generate separate org-file and then generate
ics file based on that and upload this ics file through WebDAV to my
calendar server.

@Alan,

I don't know if there is a way directly in Org to do what you want or
not, but for some reason my brain goes toward copying the text (either
directly from your agenda, or from Mikhail solution) into some other
buffer and then doing some macro or ELisp based post-processing.  But
I really don't know if that's the Right Thing to do or not.

I am also not someone who uses one of these "daily journal" workflows,
so I can't help but wonder how you link these daily notes back to the
underlying project that generated the event on the agenda in the first
place.  Becasue in my mind, I would jump from the agenda to the
underlying project or task and be making my notes in there directly.
Those linking considerations, in my mind anyway, would really dictate
the rest of the workflow.

Cheers,
TRS-80