Re: basic org questions

From: Alexander Adolf
Subject: Re: basic org questions
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2020 16:27:52 +0200

Emanuel Berg via "General discussions about Org-mode."
<emacs-orgmode@gnu.org> writes:

> Re: basic org questions
> Russell Adams wrote:
>
>>> 1) How do I make a region italic? [...]
>>
>> https://emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/18101/org-mode-multi-line-emphasis-and-bold
>
> OK, thanks, not the same good looking syntax tho but
> good enough for government work, I suppose.
> [...]

I use visual-line-mode (which also enables word-wrap by default) for Org
files. For instance:

(add-hook 'org-mode-hook (lambda ()
                           (turn-off-auto-fill)
                           (visual-line-mode)
                           (flyspell-mode)))

That way lines get wrapped to the buffer's width visually, but
physically are still single lines. Hence, I can add italics. bold,
whatever, across multiple _visual_ lines, and the formatting is what I
expect, because in reality it's a single _physical_ line only.

Hoping to have helped,

  --alex