Re: Bug - all org files open as if visibilty is set to "showeverything"

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: Bug - all org files open as if visibilty is set to "showeverything"
Date: Fri, 15 May 2020 22:21:44 +0200

Hello,

Charles Millar <address@hidden> writes:

> I recall seeing these messages, but did not realize that this change
> was going to effect all org files and by default, use lots and lots of
> space when an org file is opened.

That's true. On large files, this is not the best set-up. But I assume
anyone opening very large Org files is able to configure Org to their
liking.

On small files, e.g., a couple of screens high, this is a decent value,
however. But, more importantly, this is the least surprising value.

I think it is not uncommon for an Emacs user to open an Org file without
knowing about this major mode, e.g., if a project provides a README.org
file. This change is (mostly) for them, not for you, or me.

> As dar as I am concerned,the past default was OK and it took only
> a brief time to learn the past behavior and the visibility settings on
> a per file basis.
>
> I may be only a user but if I had I would have voted no.

You can voice your opinion in the thread, which is not closed. I hope
the Org community can find a consensus about this change.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou