Re: :tangle header argument not picked up in #+PROPERTY line or :PROPERT

From: Joost Kremers
Subject: Re: :tangle header argument not picked up in #+PROPERTY line or :PROPERTIES: block
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2020 22:13:57 +0200

On Sun, Mar 29 2020, Berry, Charles via General discussions about Org-mode. wrote:
On Mar 28, 2020, at 3:00 PM, Joost Kremers <address@hidden> wrote:
Is this expected behaviour? Am I doing something wrong?

IIUC what you did, then yes and yes.

This is the accepted idiom:

#+PROPERTY: header-args :tangle yes

I have tried:

#+begin_example
#+PROPERTY: header-args:python :tangle yes :dir /home/joost/tmp/dlpy
#+end_example

which AFAICT is the syntax shown in the info node you mentioned. I have also tried a file name instead of =yes=, both with and without quotes, but it doesn't work.

What I really want is to have a property block with the =:tangle= arg under each top-level header, like so:

#+begin_example
 :PROPERTIES:
 :header-args:python: :tangle out1.py
 :END:
#+begin_example

because I want the code below each top-level header to be tangled to a separate file. Again, AFAICT this is the syntax described in the info manual.

Hmm, experimenting a bit more I find that if I leave out the =python= part, it works:

#+begin_example
 :PROPERTIES:
 :header-args: :tangle out1.py
 :END:
#+begin_example

But the info manual gives this example:

#+begin_example
 :PROPERTIES:
 :header-args:clojure:    :session *clojure-1*
 :END:
#+begin_example

The same is true for the #+PROPERTY block at the top of the file: leave out the =python=, it works. Isn't it possible to restrict tangling to source blocks of a particular language? (Or, more specifically what I want: to specify different tangling targets for different language? I wanted to have both python and bash code blocks under one header and have them tangled to different files...)

Joost

--
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments