Re: debugging why a latex preview fails

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: debugging why a latex preview fails
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2020 14:11:26 -0500

Alan Schmitt <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello Fabrice and Eric,
>
> Thanks a lot for your suggestions. I ended up edebugging
> 'org-create-formula-image' to have a look at the created tex file (that
> is indeed cleaned up after the generation). The file was fine, but
> dvipng failed on it (with errors like "raw PostScriptdvipng warning:
> PostScript environment contains DVI commands dvipng warning: No image
> output from inclusion of raw PostScript"). I switched to imagemagick to
> do the conversion and everything now works.
>
> The warnings were in the *Org Preview Latex Output* buffer, which
> I realized afterwards. However it's still tricky to debug because
> intermediate files are erased, so I could not initially run the command
> by hand to try to tweak it.

I've resorted occasionally to hacking the code and getting rid of the
cleanup just so I would have the intermediate .tex file to look at, but
it's probably not the best way to go :-). It would be nice to have the
ability to inhibit the cleanup more easily: it would make preview almost
as easy to debug as export.

--
Nick

"There are only two hard problems in computer science: cache
invalidation, naming things, and off-by-one errors." -Martin Fowler