Folding whitespace at the end of a tree

From: Kjell
Subject: Folding whitespace at the end of a tree
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2020 15:44:07 +0100

Hello,

sometimes I'd like my trees to be displayed with a blank line at the end of a subtree to improve visability.

So it should look like this when unfolded once:

* Headline 1
** Subheadline 1.1
** Subheadline 1.2

* Headline 2

However with org-cycle-seperator-lines at its default value of 2 a single blank line gets folded into Subheadline 1.2:

* Headline 1
** Subheadline 1.1
** Subheadline 1.2
* Headline 2

When I set the variable to 1 a single blank line is not folded into Subheadline 1.2 but leads to a blank line between Headline 1 and Headline 2 when folded:

* Headline 1

* Headline 2

but it should look like this:

* Headline 1
* Headline 2

Is there any way to achieve this behaviour or is it impossible for org to know where the blank line belongs?

Thanks,

--
Kjell