Re: [PROPOSAL] New function `org-headings-to-point' and displayer.

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: [PROPOSAL] New function `org-headings-to-point' and displayer.
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2019 16:36:54 -0600

On 05 Dec 2019, Adam Porter wrote:
>Karl Fogel <address@hidden> writes:
>> Unless you meant make a new interactive function to display a vertical
>> hierarchy and base it on the existing Org Mode functions you informed
>> me of the existence of?  But I don't think there's a way to do that
>> without adding some new parameters to those existing functions, and,
>> as you point out, that's probably not worth the extra complexity.
>
>Forgive me, I think I misunderstood you.  Yes, I meant to make a new
>interactive function for displaying the vertical hierarchy.

Oh, I still learned things from the code you posted in your previous message,
though, thanks.  (I didn't know about `thread-first', for example, even though
it's been around for a while.)

Yes, what I'd meant was that ideally this would just be an interactive wrapper
around `org-format-outline-path'.  Unfortunately there's no way to get the
behavior I want from that function currently.  This is not a showstopper -- I
agree with you that adding yet more arguments to that function is not a
complexity cost worth paying here.

Another thing is that `org-get-outline-path' returns only the title portion of
each heading, rather than the full heading.  Even though the titles are all I
need right now, I still would normally prefer that the underlying function
provide more generality (i.e., return the full headings) and then the caller
would use `(nth 4 heading)' or whatever to get the part it needs.  That way if
one wants to do something more sophisticated when displaying headings --
involving tags, for example -- the necessary information would be available.

Again, these are not things that need to be "solved" in Org Mode; I'm not even
sure we should consider them to be problems.  I'm just explaining my earlier
comment about how the existing functions in Org Mode don't provide quite the
substrate I was hoping for for this particular task.

>BTW, you might also find the org-sticky-header package helpful.

Ah, very nice -- thank you!

(https://github.com/alphapapa/org-sticky-header, for those who want the
convenience of the a quick link.)

Best regards,