Re: [PROPOSAL] New function `org-headings-to-point' and displayer.

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: [PROPOSAL] New function `org-headings-to-point' and displayer.
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2019 17:34:40 -0600

On 03 Dec 2019, Adam Porter wrote:
>This seems to duplicate functionality from org-get-outline-path.  As
>well, org-eldoc displays in the minibuffer the outline path for the
>heading at point.

Thank you, Adam -- I didn't know about those.  I had searched for something
like that before implementing my own, but I think I searched using the term
"heading" or something instead of "outline", unfortunately, so I never found
them.

Now that I know about `org-display-outline-path', the one improvement I'd like
to make is to enable it to display the headings with per-level indentation, and
treat the first level specially (with an anchoring dot instead of a directional
arrow), as my code did.  It's a lot more readable that way displayed in the
minibuffer.

I suppose I would implement this by adding two new optional arguments to
`org-display-outline-path':

  * `per-level-indentation': add a newline followed by <this string LEVEL-1
times> in front of each SEPARATOR

  * `level-1-prefix': a special prefix for the first level's heading

...and make corresponding changes to the helper functions of course.  There
should also be some way to access the new functionality interactively; the
solution might be a new interactive wrapper function with its own name, or
maybe some new variables?  I don't know; I haven't thought it all the way
through yet.

Is there any interest in or opposition to such a patch?  I'd like to get a
sense of whether it would be able to land in Org Mode before I start working on
it.

Best regards,
-Karl