Re: [O] [RFC] Document level property drawer

From: Marco Wahl
Subject: Re: [O] [RFC] Document level property drawer
Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2019 09:46:30 +0200

Adam Porter <address@hidden> writes:

> Marco Wahl <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> One could even think about letting fade out the "#+"-file-wide
>> property definition syntax or at least think about a good place within
>> a file or a subtree for those definitions.  (There is at least
>> Sebastian Miele who wants to keep that syntax as he stated in another
>> thread AFAIR.)
>
> You do realize, don't you, how much software and how many documents such
> a change would break?  One of the primary reasons Org users use Org is
> that its file format is very long-lived and flexible.  There are even
> academic papers written in Org, exported to LaTeX, and a change such as
> that would break them, creating needless work for their authors or other
> interested parties to fix them up in order to still be exportable.

Please let's forget about fading out the "#+"-file-wide property for
now.  I understand that the file-wide properties in their current
meaning need to stay a good while, maybe even as long as Org lives.

Back to the issue of the document level property drawer: could it be we
talk about literally nothing when talking about the "breaking"?

What is an example which shows how the introduction of a document level
property drawer breaks something in the Org universe?  (I think there is
none.)

Ciao,
--
Marco