Re: [O] org-drill vocabulary and question about properties

From: Bob Newell
Subject: Re: [O] org-drill vocabulary and question about properties
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2019 17:09:37 -1000

Milan Zamazal <address@hidden> writes:

>     GB> still only once there. If I want to track the learning in both
>     GB> directions separately, I need to make two items for one word,
>     GB> once german-spanish and once spanish-german. Am I right?

I've used org-drill for both English/Hawaiian and English/Hindi, and
I've never been able to get balanced two-way drills without making
separate cards for each direction. But making card pairs is really easy
to automate.

I make a .org file with words in one direction only, semicolon separated
like this:

hindiword1;englishword1
hindiword2;englishword2

etc. etc. and then call the following elisp. (Obviously works for any
pair of languages.) The elisp sets up a two-way org drill file that does
what I want. The coding is crude and could be improved however it works,
which is something of a benefit :)

;; Make Hindi flashcards for org-drill
;; Pseudo-Two sided, English/Hindi
(defun org-make-hindi ()
 "Make Hindi flashcards"
 (interactive)
 (goto-char (point-min))
;; Process each line top to bottom.
 (while (not (eobp))
  (beginning-of-line)
  (setq frontofline (point))
  (search-forward ";")
  (backward-delete-char 1)
  (setq partone (buffer-substring frontofline (point)))
  (delete-region frontofline (point))
  (setq frontofline (point))
  (end-of-line)
  (setq parttwo (buffer-substring frontofline (point)))
  (delete-region frontofline (point))
  (delete-char 1)
  (insert (concat "** Word :drill:\n:PROPERTIES:\n:END:\n"
          partone "\n*** A\n" parttwo "\n"
          "** Word :drill:\n:PROPERTIES:\n:END:\n"
          parttwo "\n" "*** A\n" partone "\n"))
 )
 )

--