Re: [O] org-drill vocabulary and question about properties

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: [O] org-drill vocabulary and question about properties
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2019 12:44:38 +0100

"Gerhard Butscher" <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello, I intend to use org-drill for learning vocabulary
> (german-spanish). Does anybody know a repository of such a vocabulary?
>
> As far as I know the inner workings of org-drill are placed in the
> :PROPERTIES: section of the item. When I use :DRILL_CARD_TYPE:
> twosided then the item gets questioned some time in german and some
> time in spanish. But the PROPERTIES are still only once there. If I
> want to track the learning in both directions separately, I need to
> make two items for one word, once german-spanish and once
> spanish-german. Am I right?

Yes, the properties are shared.

For language learning, I use multi-cloze cards with
"hide1_firstmore". So:

It: [Ciao]
En: [Hello/Goodbye]

So you learn in both directions, but see the foreign language phrase
more often (assuming you are not Italian, of course).

My experience is you are better of making your own vocabulary -- since
you need to use org-drill learning to reinforce other forms of learning,
and you spend more time learning the vocab than you will writing it. The
only bits that I automate are the verb tables.

Phil