Re: [O] [POLL] Should Org tempo be enabled by default? (expand templates

From: Kevin Foley
Subject: Re: [O] [POLL] Should Org tempo be enabled by default? (expand templates thru e.g. "<s[TAB]")
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2018 14:17:15 +0000

I should add that one issue with org-tempo is it doesn't seem to be backwards compatible with old templates.  For example packages such as ob-sql-mode and org-reveal have easy templates based on the old format such as :

    (add-to-list 'org-structure-template-alist
                  `(,org-babel-sql-mode-template-selector
                    "#+BEGIN_SRC sql-mode ?\n\n#+END_SRC"
                    "#+BEGIN_SRC sql-mode ?\n\n#+END_SRC"))

https://github.com/nikclayton/ob-sql-mode/blob/8d36d312bec4a742bec8890373948a888cac18de/ob-sql-mode.el#L187

This causes the cryptic error "File mode specification error: (error Format specifier doesn’t match argument type)" when trying to load org-mode which took me ages to figure out and could potentially turn someone new to org-mode/emacs off forever.

I think this would be a good reason to not enable org-tempo at least for the time being until either it can handle templates in the old format, or produces a less cryptic error for users.

Regards,
Kevin