Re: [O] [POLL] Should Org tempo be enabled by default? (expand templates

From: Rasmus
Subject: Re: [O] [POLL] Should Org tempo be enabled by default? (expand templates thru e.g. "<s[TAB]")
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2018 22:25:57 +0200

Hi,

> We introduced a new expansion mechanism, recently bound to `C-c C-,'.
> This mechanism is more in line with usual Org functions: it operates on
> regions like, say, `org-insert-drawer'. It is an obvious default
> expansion mechanism.
>
> If the big menu, we could however improve it with an "expert" UI, like
> we already do for export and tags.

Aside: At the moment key combinations are generated on the go (unless
someone it was changed), so a full "expert-mode a la the export
dispatcher" would likely not work.  Of course, org-mks could be made
nicer, as is obvious when compared to the export dispatcher.

> Now, some users are used to "<s" constructs, and are not willing to
> switch to that expansion mechanism. Fair enough. I first suggested to
> use Yasnippets, which is powerful enough and easy to use. Some users
> still didn't want to use that. Well. I suggested Tempo, but, admittedly,
> out of the box, it is not really usable. Then Rasmus wrote Org Tempo.
>
> Even though Org Tempo is probably useful for a part of users, it is yet
> another occurrence of NIH in Org mode. Instead of using already
> available, and fitting, libraries for a task, we implement one.

FWIW, I strongly disagree that Yasnippet is a suitable replacement.  IMO
it’s not at all intuitive.  Why is using tempo NIH?

> Also, it will probably prevent the default expansion mechanism to
> receive feedback, and therefore, improvements (even though it is better
> for basic uses) because users will not even notice the new mechanism if
> the old one works out of the box.

> IMO, Org Tempo should live outside of Org core, like many other
> Org-related libraries.

I disagree.

> Some die-hard "<s" users might be annoyed if they
> had to install an external library. So asking for a "(require
> 'org-tempo)" was an acceptable compromise, until your disagreement.

FWIW, I am indifferent to whether org-tempo is loaded by default or not as
long as it’s included by default and documented in the manual.

Rasmus

--
May contains speling mistake