Re: [O] org-depend: dependencies between TODO entries in different files

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [O] org-depend: dependencies between TODO entries in different files
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2016 14:57:15 +0100

Dear all,

thanks for your feedback.

Since ord-depend was only proof of concept, we could also think a bit more broadly about what it should be able to do.  Is there specific functionality it also should support, besides the TRIGGER/BLOCKER functions it has right now?

One issue to deal with is, that in different files, a different set of TODO keywords might be active, so if a TRIGGER entry changes a TODO state, and that entry lives in a different file, it falls onto the user to make sure that the required state is valid in both files.

Any ides what is missing or might be useful?

Carsten

On Mon, Dec 12, 2016 at 12:57 PM, Karl Voit <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi,

* Christophe Schockaert <address@hidden> wrote:

> Carsten Dominik writes:
>
>> I can take a look at that.  Unless Nicolas already is working on it, of
>> course.
>>
>> [...]  Is anyone besides Karl using it regularly?  I don't want to
>> break anything by changing it.

Good point.

However, I don't think that there is a situation where
«ID-dependencies are found in all/agenda files» instead of
«ID-dependencies are found only within the same file» does break a
workflow. Using ID-dependencies from another file simply result in
false behavior in the current situation and not in a different
behavior.

Just my 2 cents.

> I started to use it a few months ago, and I am using it more and more
> when I have to gather a bunch of existing actions and give a follow-up
> for such a subset. Or when I need to refer to a subaction not directly
> related, before I can go further in a broader project.

I am using it heavily to implement workflows I could not do
otherwise: TRIGGER and BLOCKER.

For me, org-depend functionality was the reason to begin with
org-mode in the first place. And it is still one of my top three
org-mode features. When I show org-depend in my org-mode workshops,
I still get very positive feedback.

> And thank you Karl for asking !

You're welcome.

--
mail|git|SVN|photos|postings|SMS|phonecalls|RSS|CSV|XML to Org-mode:

https://github.com/novoid/extract_pdf_annotations_to_orgmode + more on github