Re: [O] capture with iceweasel/firefox -- nothing works

From: Matt Lundin
Subject: Re: [O] capture with iceweasel/firefox -- nothing works
Date: Sat, 04 Jun 2016 10:11:08 -0500

Samuel Wales <address@hidden> writes:

> hi matt,
>
> thanks for your reply.
>
> On 6/3/16, Matt Lundin <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Here is the new style bookmark that works for me:
>>
>> javascript:location.href='org-protocol://capture?url='+encodeURIComponent(location.href)+'&title='+encodeURIComponent(document.title)+'&body='+encodeURIComponent(window.getSelection())
>>

>> I'd recommend copying and pasting the javascript line above into the
>> location bar to confirm whether it works. If it does, you can then
>> easily add it to your bookmarks.
>
> will try.  this is supposed to imitate clicking on the unicorn or
> calling the bookmark?

This is the content of the bookmark. Pasting it into the location bar is
just a quick way to test if everything is working prior to saving it
permanently as a bookmark. But it might be easier to go straight to the
bookmark step (see below).

Do you mean clicking on the unicorn icon installed with this extension?

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/org-mode-capture/

If you have installed that extension, I think everything should just
work with minimal configuration. The extension is distinct from the
bookmark method. The difference is that a bookmark is a bit more
universal. Once you get it set up the protocol system-wide, the bookmark
should work in any browser.

> however, i never found any good instructions on what to do to add js
> to bookmarks.

> i have a menu bar and a location bar + icons.  i'd like a button or
> icon on the latter if possible.  my previous thrashing around caused a
>>> symbol which is a drop down menu which contains the bookmarks.
> i'll settle for that if nec.  but that is extra clicking i'd rather
> avoid, and one of them brings up a page with js on it.

To save it as a bookmark in firefox, right click on the bookmark bar,
select "New Bookmark," and paste it into the Location field.

> do i try with selecting and without selecting?

The bookmark should work with and without selections.

> which capture key does it call?

This can be controlled with the emacs variable
`org-protocol-default-template-key'. You can also specify a template
shortcut by changing the bookmark. For instance, to call a template
designated by "x", you could use the following:

javascript:location.href='org-protocol://capture?template=x&url='+encodeURIComponent(location.href)+'&title='+encodeURIComponent(document.title)+'&body='+encodeURIComponent(window.getSelection())

Matt