Re: [O] capture with iceweasel/firefox -- nothing works

From: Philip Hudson
Subject: Re: [O] capture with iceweasel/firefox -- nothing works
Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2016 13:03:38 +0100

On 4 June 2016 at 02:23, Samuel Wales <address@hidden> wrote:
> over many years, i have been trying to get org-protocol (or
> anything similar) to work, and it is not working reliably.
> that's why i want this feature to work so much.
>   *what is the most reliable set of instructions or code to
>   get iceweasel to work with org?*

Ordinarily my advice would be: Don't. Use Conkeror instead.

However, I see that keyboard-orientation and JavaScript are exactly
what you don't want, which is a pity. Org-capture from Conkeror is
bulletproof for me, even with Emacs server running on a different host
on the same LAN segment.

Conkeror uses the same browser engine as Firefox, so some FF
extensions work with it, but with an "Emacsified" keyboard-oriented
front end (M-x, M-:, C-u, C-g, etc) -- all dynamically configurable
and extensible, though in JavaScript not Elisp. The JavaScripting
framework uses familiar Elisp idioms wherever possible, like hooks,
`provide' and `require', for example.

> i'd be grateful for any useful hints.

Maybe not for you given your no-JS/no-keyboard requirement, but for
others who find this thread:

* Use Conkeror:
    http://conkeror.org
    git clone git://repo.or.cz/conkeror.git
* Don't forget to compile the external-interface module:
    http://conkeror.org/ConkerorSpawnHelper
    (tl;dr: Just cd into the cloned repo and execute 'make')
* On an XDG-compliant system (most Unix-like OSes except OS X):
    xdg-mime default conkeror.desktop x-scheme-handler/http
    xdg-mime default conkeror.desktop x-scheme-handler/https
* On a debian-esque system:
    sudo update-alternatives --config x-www-browser
* Expose Conkeror's JS innards using the 'MozREPL' FF extension:
    http://conkeror.org/MozRepl
** Use Emacs to inspect, configure, drive and automate Conkeror:
     git clone 'https://github.com/bard/mozrepl.git'
     Elisp package 'moz.el' is in subdirectory 'chrome/content/'
** Use the 'bash' shell to inspect, configure, drive and automate Conkeror:
     git clone 'https://github.com/PhilHudson/bash-mozrepl.git'

WRT Org capture protocol for those who do use a desktop env:
    # Support org-protocol on Gnome (and XFCE, MATE, etc):
    dbus-launch gconftool-2 -s
/desktop/gnome/url-handlers/org-protocol/command \
        '/usr/local/bin/emacsclient %s' --type String
    dbus-launch gconftool-2 -s
/desktop/gnome/url-handlers/org-protocol/enabled \
        --type Boolean true

--
Phil Hudson                   http://hudson-it.ddns.net
@UWascalWabbit                 PGP/GnuPG ID: 0x887DCA63