Re: [O] exporting documents w/ babel results w/o evaluating babel blocks

From: John Hendy
Subject: Re: [O] exporting documents w/ babel results w/o evaluating babel blocks
Date: Fri, 20 May 2016 11:14:48 -0500

On Fri, May 20, 2016 at 10:57 AM, Ken Mankoff <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> I'm repeating a question here from a recent bug report because I have a
> feeling official-looking bug reports might get read less than normal
> questions. Sorry for the re-post.
>
> As of an Org git commit a few weeks ago, Org exporting (and therefore Org)
> has become basically unusable for me. I used to be able to export code block
> results without evaluating the block during the export. I can no longer do
> this.
>
> The following headers used to support the above behavior:
>
> #+BEGIN_SRC python :exports results :results output
> #+BEGIN_SRC python :exports results :results file
>   (and possibly with ":session foo" also)

Well, you're exporting them at least *once*, right? If not, where are
the results coming from?

Perhaps my use case is similar. I often write up an org doc with a
pretty heavy setup heading containing my main data reading in,
manipulation, statistics, etc. Maybe up to 100k total rows in a data
frame in R. Once I run that block the first time I'm working on the
document I just put =:eval no= in the src block options.

I do the same as I'm tweaking plots. Every code block I create has
:eval yes initially and once I'm satisfied with the results I just
change to :eval no and the generated results (for me, typically a
#+results line containing a link to a pdf plot generated by my code
block) are still included.

Does this help at all? Sorry if I'm not understanding

> Is anyone running the current git head? And if so, can you export a document
> that consists of the following, or something similar to the following (i.e.
> do you use ":cache t" or ":cache nil")?
>
> #+BEGIN_SRC python :results output :exports results :session foo
> print("hello, world")
> #+END_SRC
> #+RESULTS:
> : hello, world
>
> If you can export this without running the code, what settings are you using?
> In particular, what is the value of =org-export-babel-evaluate=?

Mine is set to t. Interestingly, when I export the above after
deleting the results bit, no new results are generated. When I C-c
C-c, they are replaced. When I add :eval no, it does't appear to run
the code.

Hope that helps,
John