Re: [O] "atomic knowledge" modeling tool

From: luke call
Subject: Re: [O] "atomic knowledge" modeling tool
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2016 11:22:22 -0700

On 02/03/16 10:15, Bingo UV wrote:
On Mon, 1 Feb 2016 15:15:03 -0700
luke call <address@hidden> wrote:

I'm not org-mode power-user but what I recall from my use years ago
is that I moved away because of the # of keystrokes to do operations,
having to open different files for different topics, and that one
single set of notes couldn't be in more than one place.

    While I am no authority, I will present some information and
    evidence about why one thing should be only in one place if its
    purpose is consumption by human beings. It also matches my
    personal experience - your mileage may vary:

https://blog.evernote.com/blog/2015/12/11/evernote-and-the-brain-designing-creativity-workflows/
 From this, I gather that tools promoting explicitly
preemptive inter-connection between knowledge pieces like this
one-model seems to be are not likely the best uses of
one's own brain. Even attempts at exquisite tagging and
cross-referencing within emacs org-mode are ill-advised.

Thanks for that comment and the link to his very thoughtful article. So, about multiple connections to the same thing and modeling knowledge with org-mode or any tool. I think the author makes a good case for using such connections, just not with tags.

In real life, the same entity is relevant to many contexts, and in representation it is useful to allow easy connections to & from those contexts. For example, a entity representing a physical book is relevant to and can be thought of in connection with its location, its publisher, owner, topic, contents, author, history, physical properties (newtonian physics...), purchase history, seller, account, book borrowers, etc. Each of those things in turn has rich data and associations in the real world. I think it usually far best not to duplicate the info about any entity or the knowledge of its existence in multiple places, because that leads to duplicate work and loss of utility, such as the ability to get the most out of all our knowledge, such as for various kinds of computation & rich queries. This is fundamental in SQL theory for similar reasons.

(I see his point about tags, but partly disagree with the article author about those, because I use such thing with the intent to create all the ones I might think of using for a search, so it works in reverse: make the tag help me as I am, *not* make me work to remember the tag (who is servant vs. master). And when making associations, use all those that work best for you. Or just full-text search and periodic (hopefully easy/efficient) reorganization of ideas that are changing.)

Human memory improvement discussion often also recommends improving memory by creating associations. For me at least, any tool that is to be an aid to my mind benefits by allowing the same, so they work together well. In practice I go to the same entity by varying paths, depending on circumstance.

I do like the author's five numbered points (based on some skim & some reading). He likes mind-maps, for example, which org-mode can approximate and OM subsumes (though not yet with diagrams: I'd like OM to generate those someday). One has to decide what resonates, intuitively, as the author says. In my efforts, I'm optimizing now for comprehensiveness and simplicity, and (hopefully very soon) for collaboration.

My answer to his desired "middle path" is to consider what *is* and model that, rather than creating paragraphs! Instead, use entities with properties and relations, updating as understanding improves, which *really* helps with the problem of "loading and unloading" (I like how he put that). I strongly feel as a knowledge worker that I have a core process of systematic improvement and all this is central to it. *To model reality is the best way to work toward learning what is, _and_ to achieve his goals in optimizing "note design"* and to find what he calls "intelligent emergence": it cannot come optimally from being really good at managing huge piles of words, but rather managing knowledge which has one representation which we call words, others of images or animation, and still others of whatever we can create.

So an aim is to let recorded knowledge match reality as far as can be practical, with efficiency.

Thanks again for bringing this up.
-Luke