Re: [O] Citation syntax: a revised proposal

From: Richard Lawrence
Subject: Re: [O] Citation syntax: a revised proposal
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 2015 10:50:49 -0800

> Richard Lawrence <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> That would be wonderful!  Will you publish a patch or, better, a branch
>> somewhere, even if it's not ready for master?
>
> I created a new branch: "wip-cite". It introduces support for @key
> address@hidden [cite:pre @key post] and [(cite):pre @key post] constructs.

Great!  I'll take a look.

What's the next step here?  Adding support for multiple references?
multi-cites? `&'-keys?

> As a reminder, I prefer subkeys over plists because they have a smaller
> footprint in the document. Also, as already explained, having many
> subkeys is not a problem with proper tooling (e.g., some completion with
> descriptions). Note that this is closer to "org-ref" requirements,
> probably making easier to port some features into core.
>
> However, opinion from advanced citation users on this ML has more weight
> that mine. Instead of trying to figure out hypothetical crazy uses for
> citations (e.g., using 50 different citation commands), I'd rather hear
> from people with real citation requirements who are willing to use this
> machinery.

Yes, me too.

> At this point, we probably need to implement a BIBLIOGRAPHY keyword
> (files) and BIBLIOGRAPHY_BACKEND (bibtex, zotero, jabref...) and provide
> basic tools to handle citations in an Org document.

Could we guess the backend from the file extension on the BIBLIOGRAPHY,
to keep things simple here?  I don't use a citation manager, so I don't
know if this is possible for anything other than Bib(La)TeX.

Also, as mentioned earlier, it would be really nice to support
org-bibtex as one of the reference database formats.  (It's what I use,
so naturally it's what I think we should bless. :) This would allow
storing your reference database in-document.

Some things to think about:

1) Is there ever a need to mix reference database formats in the same
document (e.g., zotero and org-bibtex)?  (I would think not, but my
needs are simple.)

2) Is there ever a need to mix multiple reference databases in the
*same* format (e.g., two different .bib files)?  (I would think so,
given the existence in BibLaTeX of \addbibresource.)

3) If the answer to either 1 or 2 is yes, how should we decide
precedence between multiple reference databases?  (Two databases might
contain the same key.)

Best,
Richard