Re: [O] Citation syntax: a revised proposal

From: Richard Lawrence
Subject: Re: [O] Citation syntax: a revised proposal
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 2015 18:48:08 -0800

Hi Nicolas,

> To support multi cites, we must first decide how the parsed will present
> information, i.e., what are the properties in the following case
>
>   [cite:pre; pre1 @k1 post1; pre2 @k2 post2; post]

I was thinking that this should yield a citation object with a structure like:

('citation ...
  :common-prefix pre
  :common-suffix post
  :references ((:prefix pre1
                :key "k1"
                :suffix post1 ...)
               (:prefix pre2
                :key "k2"
                :suffix post2 ...))
  ...)

Would that work?

> There is also the following degenerate case
>
>   [cite:pre; pre ;post]
>
> What should be done about it?

Hmm, I don't quite understand what you mean.  This is not allowed by the
grammar (as far as I can tell), so that should not parse as a citation
object, IMO.

> I didn't implement &-keys as there is no consensus on them.

Oh, I did not realize there were outstanding issues with this.  I
remember Rasmus not liking `&'.  I'm fine with changing it, though I
cannot think of a better symbol.  Does someone think we should not have
a way of indicating that a reference should produce a full bibliography
entry?  Or that we should indicate it in some other way?

Best,
Richard