Re: [O] Moving my init.el to Org

From: Rasmus
Subject: Re: [O] Moving my init.el to Org
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2014 12:37:21 +0200

Hi Marcin,

Marcin Borkowski <address@hidden> writes:

> so the time has come.  Either I'll declare .emacs bankruptcy soon, or
> I'll use Org-mode to structure it.
>
> I googled for a while, but couldn't find what I'm looking for: a list
> of options with hints (or links to hints) about how to get started, and
> possibly their pros and cons.
>
> I know that I could use org-babel-load-file, or outshine.  What are
> other possibilities?  What are the caveats (and advantages) of both
> (other?) ways?

I started with a org init file, but it was too much hazel — maybe
because it was split across files.  I now manage a single 4400 LOC
init file.

Now I use isearch and orgstruct-mode, a minor mode allowing org-like
folding.  I have the following in the top of my init file.

;; -*- orgstruct-heading-prefix-regexp: ";;" -*-

If you want, you could load orgstruct automatically with

;; Local Variables:
;; eval: (orgstruct-mode)
;; End:

in the bottom, but this will mean that Org is loaded automatically a
init, which I would advice against if you enjoy fast Emacs init.

—Rasmus

--
Hooray!