Re: [O] org-mode for swi-prolog and latex export ?

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] org-mode for swi-prolog and latex export ?
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2014 06:19:35 -0400

Thorsten Jolitz <address@hidden> writes:

> Joseph Vidal-Rosset <address@hidden> writes:

>>     The first sentence of the doc that Tom pointed to is:
>>
>>     ,----
>>     | The core Babel functions (viewing, export, tangling, etc…) are
>>     language
>>     | agnostic and will work even for languages that are not
>>     explicitly
>>     | supported. Explicit language-specific support is required only
>>     for
>>     | evaluation of code blocks in a language.
>>     `----
>>
>>     So maybe nothing more is needed for just exporting and tangling
>>     (completely untested).
>>
>> Yes, but I do not know how to define such and such language to export.
>> When I Cc -Ce I can export to latex and html for example , but I do
>> not know how to extend this list.

I don't understand: what language are you trying to export to? My take
was that you export the doc to latex/pdf/html and you tangle the code
fragments to some arbitrary file (a file that can be fed to a prolog
interpeter to be executed).

> This is a (lisp)programmers task. The usual proceeding would be to look
> at the list of extisting ob-<language>.el files and pick a language that
> is very similar to the new one (in case of prolog maybe a difficult
> task?). Then try to adapt this file to your new language -> ob-prolog.el.

Assuming that the statement I quoted is true, one should be able to
export files that contain prolog code fragments:

#+BEGIN_SRC prolog
foo
#+END_SRC

One has to do `:exports code' since exporting results would require
evaluation which *would* require that one write an ob-prolog.el.

Also, one should be able to tangle the prolog code fragment(s) into
files (no ob-prolog.el needed).

Exporting and tangling  are generic services that babel provides even if
there is no evaluation for that language.

But as I said, I have not tried it: I am only trying to interpret what
the doc is saying, so when the eating comes, the pudding may be stale.
If the interpretation is wrong, I would love to be corrected. If the
interpretation is right, but the exporting/tangling does not work, then
that would be a babel bug.

Nick