Re: [O] Fwd: Mac OS Alias file links

From: Ken Mankoff
Subject: Re: [O] Fwd: Mac OS Alias file links
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2014 21:58:35 -0400

On 2014-04-14 at 20:21, Charles C. Berry wrote:
> BibDesk has an archive of entries typically stored at
>
> ~/Library/Caches/Metadata/edu.ucsd.cs.mmccrack.bibdesk/*.bdskcache
>
> and the 'NS.data' element of Bdsk-File-1 seems to point to one element.
>
> The *.bdskcache file has a bplist and I guess the 'FileAlias' component
> is what points to the pdf or whatever.

Aha! I think this is essentially what you described in your last
email when you said,

>> OTOH, writing an AppleScript to make an alias in a folder that is
>> never  moved, writing elisp to call that script and then make an
>> org-mode link to  the alias just created might work for you.

I guess that is how it is done. I think I can figure out how to do this
much in elisp + a system language. The elisp side will be a good
learning project.

> One approach that sidesteps having to know the CoreFoundation.h stuff
> is to use the BibDesk AppleScript capabilities. There is a model for
> this at
>
> http://www.jonathansick.ca/adsbibdesk/
>
> written in python, FWIW.

Yes. The AppKit module is a nice interface from Python to the OSX
system. I think I will likely write the non-emacs code using this, or
AppleScript or Automator directly.

  -k.