Re: [O] Fwd: Mac OS Alias file links

From: Ken Mankoff
Subject: Re: [O] Fwd: Mac OS Alias file links
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2014 09:17:21 -0400

On 2014-04-14 at 08:42, Nick Dokos wrote:
> What does emacs do when you C-x C-f an alias?

Alias in OS X (and Shortcut in Windows) present as files. Org treats it
just as it should - as a file. Everything works.

> If it opens it properly (i.e. opens the target file) then why is
> anything needed in org? It seems to me that a file: link should just
> work.
>
> If it does not, then maybe that's where the capability should be added.
> Org seems to be the wrong place for it.
>
> But note that everything I know about aliases, I learnt in the last five
> minutes, so I could be way off the mark.

This requires me to 1) manually make an alias (something I never do), 2)
choose where to store that alias on disk, and then 3) link to the alias
in Org. Worse, the situation is not improved or difference since if the
alias moves, the Org link (to the alias) is broken.

I'm imagining the alias never exists on disk. Just as a representation
inside Org, and pointing to the target file. Now the link can never
break, unless the target is deleted. And there is no additional effort
on our part beyond the existing work to make a link.

  -k.

P.S. How does one make a link to a folder or directory in org?